Saturday, September 04, 2010

Vitamin C, Zinc & Nyquil - These are a few of my favorite things.

First of all, don't think that this public announcement is a verbal "fishing pole" for condolences. I'm just writing to write about something. I like writing, so there!

Anyhow... I'm sick. I think it is funny to blame it on my boss since he was sick two days before me, but odds are he wasn't the only one. And according to at least one customer, I gave it to him. I know a handful of people that are currently sick, so I'm guessing it's not just my boss that passed me the germs.

Right now the cool thing is that still have my voice. My boss almost lost his. I'm good. Right now it's all in my nose and a little in my throat, but I'm ok.

Everyone has been giving me their little "tricks" and things they take to make them feel better. So this is what I've been taking lately.

Whenever I get sick I take a lot of vitamin C.

I take it when I wake up, I take it during the day, and take it before I go to sleep. Each dose I take is 1000 mg, and sometimes around bed I'll take 2000 mg. I'll eat oranges and grapefruits. I'm pretty sure that I'm almost O.D.'ing on Vitamin C, but I'm thinking it'll be ok. Someone once told me that when the body needs it, it can use up to 1000 mg an hour. Let me know if there is any truth to that

NyQuil is the key to a good sleep. Serious.

Right before bed I'll take a dose of this, right along with my big dose of Vitamin C. I'll sometimes watch TV until I fall asleep. It generally doesn't take all that long. And ever since I've taken this approach I sleep soundly. I hate waking up when I'm sick. And the dreams are weird too. I've noticed that the dreams I have when I'm sick or have a fever tend to be "blocky" or "chunky" almost like the people and things are made out of legos. Ok, that probably sounds weird, but it's true.

I just began to take zinc when sick, this year.

I used to take echinacea, and I would right now, except that I don't have any, but I do have zinc. I took it the last time I was sick and I think it worked. The pill is for a complete daily dose, so I break it in half and have one half in the morning and one half in the afternoon. I will also have a half when I go to bed.

Day time pills/medicine definitely work and help me make it through the day.

So the picture is a box of Comtrex, that is currently what I'm taking during the day. I think it works. It was 50% off at Rite-Aid. I don't like to feel all stuffed up and crappy during the day. I'll generally pair this with some Ibuprofen and it'll make me feel pretty good.

The only personal drug treatment that I heard and liked, but haven't tried, was from my good friend's mother, Mrs. T.
Check this out:

  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1 t of real squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 t honey

Stir it all up, then add one generous shot of Southern Comfort and go to sleep!

What do you think about that one? What is your recipe/regimen for getting healthy?

Technorati : , , , , ,
Del.icio.us : , , , , ,
Zooomr : , , , , ,
Flickr : , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...